Confidence comes in baby steps.
If you’ve been hanging out with me for a while you’ll have heard me say that line before. And I’m sure you will hear me say it again.
Because it’s something that I’m absolutely certain about.
Confidence is a skill we can all build. But it only grows when we take action.
And the funny thing is, it kind of doesn’t matter which confidence building actions you take. What matters is that you take them over and over again to build and strengthen your baseline confidence.
This week, I’d love for you to invest in your confidence and be on the lookout for situations that will stretch you. Commit to taking a baby step that will help you feel like you can reach a little further in the weeks ahead.
And just in case you need help coming up with ideas, here are 20 to get you started.
20 confidence building actions
- Speak up in a meeting you’d normally hold your tongue in.
- Apply for a job that interests you.
- Reach out to someone you admire and ask for their advice or mentorship.
- Or put yourself forward as a mentor.
- Say yes to a request you’d commonly say no to.
- Put your hand up and volunteer for an assignment that you’ve been wanting.
- Find an opportunity to speak in public. It doesn’t matter how big or small the group is, what’s important is that you do it. You can read my best tips here.
- Sign up for an education or coaching opportunity you’ve been thinking about.
- Set a goal to ask at least one question in every meeting you are in this week.
- Ask to shadow your leader or an Executive for a week.
- Book tickets to a networking event. And go.
- Put forward a contrary view that you’d generally keep to yourself.
- Write that professional journal piece or article you’ve been telling yourself you can’t do because you don’t have enough confidence.
- Book in to get professional headshots taken, if you haven’t already done so. And if you have, think about engaging a photographer for a Personal Branding shoot.
- Pitch your idea. You know, that one you know will work but that you are too scared to talk about.
- Reach out for information on your dream job.
- Submit a piece of work before you think it is perfect. Remind yourself that Sheryl Sandberg is right and that ‘done is better than perfect’.
- Share something with a colleague that makes you feel vulnerable.
- Turn on your video in the next Skype, Zoom or Webex call you do.
- Wear something that you love but that you wouldn’t normally consider office appropriate.
Let me know in the comments below if any of these confidence building actions resonate with you. Or better yet, come back later in the week and let me know which action you took to build your confidence. Remember, I’m right here, cheering you on.
Photo credit: Haute Stock Co